Core Team Members
Dr. Wei Wei: Dr. Wei is a Research Associate working in risk assessment and risk management of new nano- and biotechnologies in food and agriculture. He has published more than 40 peer-reviewed papers over his career.
Dr. Ashton Merck: Dr. Merck is a Postdoc working in interdisciplinary risk sciences, responsible innovation, and new technologies in food and agriculture. She holds a PhD in History from Duke University, specializing in risk and regulation within food and ag sectors.
Dr. Christopher Cummings: Dr. Cummings is a Senior Research Scholar in the GES Center (NC State) and Gene Edited Foods Project (Iowa State). He continues to assist Grieger et al. on USDA/NIFA grants and other research projects.
Mumtahina Riza: Ms. Riza is a MS student investigating risks of new materials for phosphorus capture. She has a MS degree in Environmental Science and Management from Bangladesh University of Professionals.
Madison Horgan (MSE): Ms. Horgan is an Risk Researcher and Engagement Specialist. She received her BS in Material Science & Engineering and Philosophy from NC State.
Nick Loschin: Nick is a PhD student investigating evaluating potential risks of new food and agriculture technologies. He holds a BS degree in Environmental Science, and collaborates with the US EPA on developing risk assessment approaches.
Student and Postdoc Collaborations
Sebastian Zarate (FER) (PhD Student), Sweet-APPS; Sebastian is an AgBioFEWS PhD student and member of Peruvian Team of the Comparative Covid Response Network. Dr. Grieger supervises Mr. Zarate’s interactions with stakeholders affiliated with Sweet-APPS
Sandy Ramsey (CSS) (PhD Student); Sandy is a Ph.D. student and AgBioFEWS fellow at NC State under the direction of Dr. Ramon Leon. Her research focuses on precision planting for maximization of weed suppression and yield in row crops. Dr. Grieger serves as Graduate Committee Member for Ms. Ramsey
Ilaria Cimadori (PhD Student); Ilaria is a PhD student at the Yale School of the Environment. She is interested in investigating issues surrounding animal welfare in the light of the new gene editing technologies from a law and regulations point of view.
She holds a MA in comparative international relations from Ca’ Foscari University of Venice, Italy. Dr. Grieger supervises Ms. Cimadori on a USDA/NIFA-funded grant and also serves on her graduate student committee at Yale.
Previous Team Members and Students
Cheyana Bassham (FWC), Dr. Grieger served as primary advisor for Ms. Bassham’s undergraduate research project, Spring 2021.
Becca Michael: Ms. Rebecca Michael served as a Stakeholder Engagement Specialist, involved in conducting interviews with the Sweet-APPS, GRIP4PSI project (2020-2021).
David Glas: Mr. Glas served as a Risk Science Communications Expert (2020-2021).
Dr. Adam Kokotovich, Dr. Grieger supervised on USDA/NIFA grant (2019-2021).
Collaborations across NC State and beyond
- Science and Technologies for Phosphorus Sustainability (STEPS). NSF-funded Science and Technology Center. Dr. Grieger serves a co-Director of Knowledge Transfer in STEPS.
- Genetic Engineering and Society Center, NC State. Dr. Grieger serves as Executive Committee Member of the GES Center.
- AgBioFEWS Program via GES Center, NC State. Dr. Grieger serves as AgBioFEWS Faculty Member (e.g. Graduate Committee member of AgBioFEWS PhD student, Sandy Ramsey).
- Center for Human Health & Environment (CHHE), NC State. Dr. Grieger serves as a full member of CHHE.
- Research Triangle Nanotechnology Network (RTNN), NC State. Dr. Grieger serves as RTNN faculty member.
- Science and Technologies for Phosphorus Sustainability (STEPS) Center. Dr. Grieger serves as co-PI and co-lead for Knowledge Transfer of STEPS.
- Society for Risk Analysis, Research Triangle Regional Organization. Dr. Grieger is a founding member for re-invigorating the local chapter (2021).
- RiskGONE, nano-risk governance EU project. Dr. Grieger serves as External Advisory Board Member.
- US-EU Communities of Research (CORs), focused on nano-environmental, health, and safety. Dr. Grieger serves as the US-lead for the Risk Management & Control COR group.